boys lake

boys lake

Friday, February 10, 2012

TV Silence

I'd like to think that I always make sound parenting choices.  Wouldn't we all?  However, when I make a conscious effort to be more self-aware, I see some things I'm not too happy about.  The TV viewing habit of my kids is one of them.

I am not naive about evils of the almighty TV and I know what the research says.  I've seen it suck my kids in, slow their brain waves to a near vegetative state and spit them back out again cranky and wanting more.  It does not fit into the picture of what I want my kids' life to be like at home.  Don't misunderstand me, we do lots of good stuff together and the kids have the ability to entertain themselves, which I think is a highly underrated skill in children today, but I do feel like I rely on a little too much on TV.

It started out so well - a little bit of TV in the afternoon once nap/quiet time was done.  Just enough to provide a little peace for me and a treat for the kids.  But our little friends Super Why, Diego, Arthur and Elmo, are slowly creeping more and more into our days.  15 minutes here because Em is fussy and I need to make lunch, 20 minutes there because I really need to make a phone call.  Then there are the days when one of the kids or I am sick and TV is the easiest way to keep everyone calm and happy.

I know that its supposedly "educational" programming, but the nagging feeling that it has too much of a hold over my kids won't go away.  The more they watch, the more they want.  And now I'm seeing the kids squabble over who gets to pick the show or video.  Its cute when Emory says "watch something else, its too boring for me", but this isn't something I really want to hear.  Something that started out so innocently is making my kids less kind to each other and more demanding towards Bill and I.  TV should be a privilege, not a right, and I don't think that we are always reflecting that in our home.

So, I'm going stop shaking my head and feeling bad about my parenting skills, and pull the plug.  Starting today, the kids will be TV-free for a week.  I am curious to discover what changes this brings about for our family.  I suspect there will be more gained than just an end to TV-induced begging and whining.  I will have to be a little more present and prepared, but that is good for me too.

I'm off to see if the paints are dried up, search under the couch for missing puzzle pieces and make a fresh batch of playdough.  Hopefully we'll greet next weekend with a healthier outlook on TV.  Those cute cartoon faces aren't fooling me anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment